Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Kuska..... An easy atlernate to pain-staking Biryani without Meat!!!

"Kuska" when translated in marathi language (that's my mother tongue) means a mean person. My very good friend Anu introduced me to it. It semms it is a rice preparation from the Muslim community. Initially the name attracted me towards this dish. But I never got a chance to google on it. The other day I was at her place, about to leave and there she comes with the pan and a spoon. Before I know anything, the spoon is shoved in my mouth and I am experiencing yet another culinary delight from my friend which I had to try and voila!!!! what a simple but loaded with flavor dish!!!! Its a biryani (without meat) in no time.....



Serves 2

Ingredients:

1 cup long-grain basmati rice

1 1/2 tsp ginger-chilli paste

1 tsp garlic paste

1 black cardamoms

4-5 cloves

1 stick cinnamon

2-3 bay leaves

a hanfull of chopped corriander and mint leaves (blame it on them for the flavor!!) a few extra for garnishing

1 tsp garam masala powder (optional)

1 1/2 tbspn of vegetable oil (yup! what is a biryani without oil. Oh.........ok what is an imitation biryani without oil????)
2 cups hot Water
salt to taste

Method:

Wash and soak rice for half an hour. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan on a medium flame. Add the bay leaves, cardamom, cloves and cinnamon. Hmmm..... now smell the spices. Add the ginger-chilli and garlic parte. Fry for sometime till the rawness of the pastes have gone. Now add the tomatoes. Close the pan with a lid. Let the tomatoes melt. Once you see the tomatoes have incorporated with the spices and the ginger-garlic paste, throw in the leaves. Fry for a minute and then add in the rice. Stir well to mix. Season with salt to taste. Add hot water, stir and put on the lid. Now very important. Once you see the rice boiling reduce the flame to low and stop stirring. I would like to add this as a tip; If you are preparing any kind of rice, do not stir in once it starts boiling. Reason: It breaks the grain. Now I know some of you hyper one's out there would like to go and peek in every now but please control your urge. Sit pretty, file your nails or watch a song or a two on you-tube. (My favourite time-pass!) After 20-25 mins, the air around you will turn minty. Yes, your rice is done now. Go have a look. Yummmm........ sprinkle with the garam masala powder and garnish with more leaves if you please. Done!

No comments:

Post a Comment